Monday, May 27, 2013

Zen Escape Bath

The size of this room called attention to an eyesore: an off-center, aluminum-framed window. A floor-to-ceiling Shoji screen took care of that by concealing the flaw, while letting light through. A 7-foot framed mirror, hung horizontally, spans the entire length of the room and reflects the ladder towel rack, which adds storage without taking up floor space.
Designer: Holly Rickert, Ulrich, Inc., Ridgewood, NJ
Our clients wanted to achieve a peaceful zen-like bath, which was to be used as an escape from their demanding workday. To create this effect we used marble tile, multiple mirrors, stainless steel fixtures, and lots of glass.  We also balanced this feeling with the functionality of the bath.
We crafted a custom, curved, marble sink top and a shower seat, to match the marble wall and floor tiles, with a hand held spray for bathing in comfort.  We placed a large mirrored medicine cabinet above their vanity.  To maintain natural lighting, we replaced the old window in the shower with a new window with obscure glass for privacy.

To protect the window and to increase privacy during showering, we fit white polywood shutters inside the marble window surround, an ingenious solution to the moisture problems often  encountered with a window in the shower.
Bath mats must be soft, quick-dry and comfortable. On the rare occasion that I can stand in front of the bathroom mirror and apply my daily moisturizer and make-up, I prefer to pamper my feet. They deserve it, and so do I. Because my bathroom also doubles as a nightly bath space for the kids, I need something that can not only cushion my knees during bath time, but something that can withstand the splashes and high-traffic from the kids.To store bath towels I have a stand with a large basket that rests on it. We have great bath towels that compliment the color scheme of our bathroom, so I like to show them off. I roll them up and place them inside the basket for show and to keep them accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment